Thursday 20 August 2020

Stars of Matariki Writing

 We have learned about each of the stars of the Matariki cluster and what they are linked to, and this learning helped us design our dances. This week we have written about our learning journey so far: What have we learned? What has been a challenge? What are we looking forward to?

Here are some examples of our writing this week:

Milli- My star is Pōhutukawa. It is the star that guides the spirits of the people who have died up to heaven.  I am looking forward to the dance for the art celebration with my group Pōhutukawa. It is a star of Matariki. The Māori have that story is real. But other people have other minds. The star Pōhutukawa is a star that makes you remember all your loved people who have died. I am also looking forward to the arts celebration itself.

Lexi- My star is Waitā. It is the star of the ocean and the sea creatures like fish, jellyfish, sharks too. I am looking forward to eating Glacia and colourful lights shining on me and wearing my shark costume in front of the whole classroom.

Sam- My star, Urūrangi, is the guardian of wind, hurricanes, tornadoes. A challenge for me in the dance practice was concentration. I am looking forward to starting and finishing the dance because it is fun wondering what will happen and knowing after.

Scarlett- My star is Waitī, the star of eels. All eels are slow. Eels move with the water and they live in freshwater. We got to paint the eels and eels are like kids on a Sunday. We get to go in the middle of the star. We get to go down and spin around as the water.

Fabian- My star is called Waipuna-ā-rangi. It is like a torch in the sky. My dance is a challenge. I use teamwork and I need to be very focussed. I need to go on the floor and very high and middle. I need to do the right actions. I am looking forward to the performance and being filmed.

Petra- My star is shimmering, glittering Urūrangi. She glistens with the other stars. "Twinkle, twilight," Urūrnagi calls quietly shaking blue dust on flowing rivers. We walk into our circle. Floating up swaying our arms up lightly, forming our line. Up we go down we go. Into our circle again. Spin, spin, spin I go. Circle goes closer but I still spin. Before the music ends I walk off stage and everyone follows.

Source https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/images/3964-te-kahui-o-matariki





No comments:

Post a Comment